The Bunnyphant goes to the vet’s

Indy was minding his own business, sitting on the deck, which is a good thing. At least he’s not missing.

And so was Bunny.

But soon, Bunny came inside, and went upstairs to sit on the “sick blanket” at the foot on my bed. His body did not feel warm, but I just felt like something wasn’t right.

Sorry, Bunny, I need to take you to the vet’s. We cannot take chances with you.

The vet wasn’t open yet, so we waited in the car, but Bunny was very stressed and he wanted to get out of the carrier.

I let him out and he was very, very curious.

He looked everywhere.

Where are we?

At the vet’s, he refused to get out. The vet tried all means to make him come out, but he just refused. There is a little trick that might get a cat to come out of the carrier, slide the tip of your finger around the rim of the carrier so that all the cat sees is a little pink finger tip going around. The vet did this.

Nope, it didn’t work.

Bunny just looked and followed the pink tip.

This is the guy who called me “fat”, I’m not coming out.

By the way, Bunny weighed 6.3kg today, which means he has lost 150g, which is “good”, yet, may not be so good.

The vet checked all his wounds. Everything looks fine.

Bunny didn’t look sick at all.

His temperature was taken and it was 40 degrees. That’s a low-grade fever.

The vet prefers that Bunny fights the fever himself without medication, despite Bunny being FIV+.  He said the body can fight.

I would have to monitor his temperature, his eating and his general wellbeing. If the fever persists for 3 days without going down, or if the temperature increases, we will start him on Doxy, Baytril and RetroMAD1. FIV+ cats are sometimes resistant to Doxy. That is why we need Baytril as well.

I remember Doxy did not work for Bunny previously, but Baytril did the trick in 48 hours.

The vet doesn’t want to start Bunny on any antibiotics right now because he’d rather keep the “trump card” to a time when it is really needed. We do not want Bunny getting resistant to any antibiotic and when he really needs it, nothing works.

That makes sense.

But of course, it is worrying as we do not know what is causing the low-grade fever. It could even be Hemobart. Doxy works very well with Hemobart cases.

I was worried it may be too late to start Bunny on anything if we waited until the fever got worse or the illness was prolonged, but the vet seemed to think it is wiser to wait.

I guess getting the body to fight off the disease is always better.

We came home and Bunny ate.

And oh, Indy was no longer sitting on the deck. He’s “missing” again, but I think he has just gone to hide because he fears I’d take him to the vet next. He saw Bunny going off earlier and he looked concerned (“Am I next…again?”).

I settled Bunny upstairs and quickly went off to buy a thermometer.

I wanted just a simple mercury thermometer but they don’t sell those anymore.

This is the best I could get. The plus point is it is fast acting – you get the temperature within 10 seconds and it beeps when it’s done.  And it won’t break even if you dropped it.

Bunny was still upstairs.

I hope Bunny will get well on his own. Now, it’s all up to his body to fight off whatever is causing the fever. With some help from Vetri DMG, of course.








One response to “The Bunnyphant goes to the vet’s”

  1. Susleen

    Hope Bunny will be alright, the weather is very much not in favor these days is a little risky for especially and outdoor cats. I have tried IMMUplus with my cats when their condition is not too worrying, it really helps.