Indy to the vet’s (good news – kidney readings down!!)

I can certainly do with some good news today….

And Indy delivered it!

Today was Indy’s revisit at our regular vet’s after 10 days since we (1) reduced the subcut from 250ml to 200ml (too much fluids making the kidneys work harder?) and (2) stopped Kidney Support Gold (too much anti-oxidants?).

This revisit was important as the vet was worried that by reducing the subcut fluids, the kidney readings might shoot higher still. The reason the subcut was reduced is that the urine was way too diluted (10 days ago) that nothing could be detected. But the unexpected opposite happened!!

Here’s today’s readings (compared with 10 days ago):

Creatinine 411 (down from 579) – amazing!
Urea 29.1 (down from 34.7) – quite amazing!
Sodium  155 (normal)
Potassium  4.1 (normal)
Cloride  112 (normal)

PCV 22% (slightly down from 22.5%)

I think Indy has gone back to Stage 3 now, though it does not matter. What matters is that he’s active, alert, eating well and feeling “on top of the world”!

And for the creatinine to drop from 579 to 411 in 10 days is beyond our wildest imagination! Even the vet was surprised and asked what we did differently.

Well, all we did was, upon her advice, to reduce the subcut from 250ml to 200ml (maybe less taxing on the kidneys to drain off the fluids now), stopped Kidney Support Gold (in case there are already sufficient anti-oxidants in the other supplements) and only five days ago, at the recommendation of the new vet, we started on Azodyl (not even the full dosage and I could not even comply with the “1 hour before food or 2 hours after food” requirement – reason below). We started with 1 capsule twice daily and this is the supplement that most caregivers and even vets say “does not work”!

And yes, Indy went on Hill’s KD kibble and boycotted Royal Canin’s Renal kibble.

Other that the above, there were no other changes.

So, the new treatment plan now will be:

  1. Subcut fluids to remain at 200ml daily
  2. Azodyl to increase to the full dosage of 3 capsules per day (2 in the morning, 1 in the evening, on an empty stomach)
  3. Renal-N to decrease to 1.5 scoops twice day

I searched on Azodyl’s official website and found this:

With Azodyl, improvement in BUN and creatinine can be seen as early as four weeks! Azodyl contains three, specifically selected strains of beneficial bacteria that thrive in a uremic environment: Streptococcus thermophilus KB19, Lactobacillus acidophilus KB27, and Bifidobacterium longum KB31.

It takes four weeks to work and that’s considered fast? So did Azodyl work in just FIVE days for Indy? It’s hard to say, right? Miracles do happen in our lives. Or was it due to the reduction of subcut fluids and stopping of KSG which was done for 10 days now. Or changing to Hill’s KD kibble (not likely)?

In any case, of course I’m going to follow the advice of our vet and see how the readings are in the next check-up one month from now.

As for Azodyl, it is supposed to be taken “1 hour before food or 2 hours after food” but with Indy, I could only manage to give it to him on an empty stomach and this has to be quickly followed by his gazillion of other supplements mixed with food. The reason is that he will quickly go back to his “top of the world” highest platform after being fed any medicines and he won’t come down anymore until hours later. Or, even half a day. Then, for the evening dose, I have to keep checking on when he comes down from the platform anytime between 3pm and 6pm. The moment he comes down, I plonk the Azodyl in. If I’m lucky, I get to do it at around 3pm, which is good. Totally empty stomach and definitely “2 hours after food” as well as “1 hour before food”. If not, I would just have to do it right before food, before the next round of a gazillion kidney supplements (mixed with food) again.

So I have not truly compiled religiously to the feeding requirements of Azodyl. I told our vet and she says it is okay, as long as it’s on an empty stomach so that the medicines can go to the intestines and remove the toxins before food is ingested.

As for Kidney Support Gold (KSG), it’s a herbal supplements and perhaps not all animals will respond well to it. Herbal supplements also may not have vigorous lab studies conducted on its efficacy and performance. But this doesn’t mean it is not good. It just means that we do not have enough data or evidence to know everything we need to know about the product. What we have are reviews and anecdotal evidence. For example, last time, Tabs reacted badly to PetDiatrics Cordy Hep-C and we had to send her to the emergency ward. That’s a herbal supplement sold at vet clinics too.

Back to our hero of the day, Indy!

Thank you for the good news, Indy! We will take today’s win….until the next check-up!

I am Indy and I’m not so easily defeated!

Way to go, Indy Jones!!

Indy was rescued at about 4 weeks old from a drain by us after a friend alerted us about him in May 2008. She asked me foster Indy for two weeks while she went back home to her hometown. I agreed, but upon taking him to the vet’s, Indy had severe infection of the bladder, Eustachian tube and eye.

I had to give Indy a name for registration at the clinic. Without hesitating, I said “Indy”. Indy Jones. My favourite superhero!

Little Indy was down and out for two weeks. The vet didn’t think he would survive, but he still prescribed 21 days of antibiotics. Survive Indy did, the little tyke. The infection was so bad that his bladder only had green pus (no urine) and pus was so heavy in one of his ears that his head was tilted to one side and Indy could only move in circles, not in a straight line. What little Indy did was, he forced himself to move in the opposite direction! We were amazed at his tenacity, as a little kitten.

Indy got well after the three weeks and the friend decided he would be better off with us.

While growing up, Indy had several near-death episodes too where no vet could figure out what was wrong with him. He got very, very sick, was even hospitalised, but he would bounce back. Even two seniors worked on him and couldn’t figure out his abnormal-looking stomach X-Ray and his symptoms. Yet, he bounced back. I could go on and on about the numerous times this had happened through more than a decade.

That’s how Indy came into our lives and even if we turned back to clock now, knowing how many near-mishaps and saves we have had to go through, we would have still taken Indy into our home and our heart!